Friday, September 30, 2016

September 30 - Humility in Duty

        Luke 17:10 - "So when you have done everything you were told to do, you should say, 'We are unworthy servants; we have only done our duty.' "

        Recently, my supervisor at work called me while I was working the evening shift. Among other things, she thanked me for being a responsible worker and for doing what I was asked to do, which was sometimes a different task each day. I responded by saying that I was only doing my job.
        In the story of Luke 17:7ff, Jesus is calling us to be humble in our servanthood. After all, God is the Master; we are the servants. He is in control; we are the workers in his kingdom. The same goes for being employees for our company or boss. We have agreed to be compensated a certain amount of money and/or benefits for doing a certain amount of work. Why should we expect anything more? On the contrary, we should follow Colossians 3:22-24, knowing that it is God who we ultimately work for, and who will ultimately reward us. Galatians 6:7 also comes into play here. We really will reap what we sow. If I work to enhance my employers' business, then his blessing will become my blessing. If I increase his earnings, then I might possibly increase my earnings, however without expecting to do so. The opposite is even more true. If my employer loses money, I can certainly not expect to make more.
        So, do what you are required and more, with a humble attitude, and let God take care of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment