Friday, September 2, 2016

September 2 – Work Ethic

        Col. 3:22-24 – ".....obey your earthly masters in everything; do it, not only when they are watching and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and respect for the Master. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as if you were working directly for the Master, and not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Master as a reward. It is Christ you are serving."

        Do you want peace on your job? Do you want to reduce the amount of drama? Do you want to increase your chances for a raise? Then simply obey the verses in Colossians. Everything we do should be a reflection of the good things that God is doing in our lives.
        Well, what if I don't like my job? What if my boss is a jerk? What if I can never please my superiors? Firstly, we should take stock of our own behavior and attitude, and adjust it accordingly. We cannot control the actions of others, only that of ourselves. Remember, that it is God who is looking out for us, when we choose to obey him. Gal. 6:7 states that we also reap what we sow. So, God will remember all of our actions and repay us accordingly. Do you want a good return? Then, do your positive part up-front. If you give that employer 102%, it will return to you in a positive manner.
        I recently took home an older vacuum cleaner from my workplace. The upright shaft for pushing around the vacuum had become worn and in disrepair, so that one could barely push the machine normally. Someone had duct-taped the two metal adjustable pieces together, thus producing a shoddy, incomplete repair that probably worked in the short-term. I removed the old repair, fixed the metal tubing, cleaned all the parts, then used epoxy to solidify a repair of the shaft – all of this on my own time. I returned the machine to working condition on the job, as a favor to my employer, who was quite happy and a little surprised at my initiative.
        So, even if you are just sweeping a floor, do it to the best of your ability, because God is watching, to bless you. And don't forget Titus 2:10b, "....so that in every way we make the teaching about God our savior, attractive."

No comments:

Post a Comment