Sunday, November 13, 2016

November 13 The Golden Rule, part 2

        Matthew 7:12 – "So in everything, do to others what you want them to do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets."

        What a simple statement! Yet, how often do we go about our normal days thinking about this command from Jesus? This command is directly related to the principle of sowing and reaping, found in Galatians 6:7. For the measure that we use is the same measure that will come back upon us. We do get what we deserve, because God is not unjust.
        Would I like roadside assistance if my car breaks down? Then, provide the same to someone broken down. Would I like detailed directions to a Christian concert venue, while walking in downtown Baltimore? Then give directions to the simple-minded person who asks for directions to the local palm-reader. Wait a minute! Am I suggesting that I directly help a person in their pursuit of Satanic things? Not if it is in my power to re-direct them. However, regardless of my influence in that situation, it doesn't leave me off the hook of obeying Jesus, or of somehow thwarting someone else's free will to their own fate. To not show someone a simple kindness like giving directions when asked is simply sabotaging my own point in time when I will need the same.
        Have you ever heard the phrase "pay it forward"? It means doing something now so that good will happen to me later. This principle is really understated in our culture, because of the ever-decreasing growth of love and morality. People in Buddhist cultures who are serious about their beliefs understand this quite well. The same principle is called karma, and even pre-dates the life of Jesus on earth. Now we know that Jesus did not get his teaching from the Buddha; but God's simple truths can sometimes be found in other cultures and religions. After all, the deceitfulness of Satan contains just enough truth to cause confusion.
        I don't know how the name "The Golden Rule" came to be associated with this principle. Maybe someone thought it was a philosophy of high worthiness. The upshot of the argument is that the Golden Rule principle is very important to what happens to us, as our own actions to others comes full circle in the same manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment