Saturday, October 8, 2016

October 8 - Why Do I Stub My Toe?

        Psalm 91:9-12 - "If you live in the Most High, even Yahweh, who is my refuge, then no harm will fall on you, and no disaster will come near your house. For God will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up with their hands so that you will not strike your foot against a stone."

        The Bible is quite clear about many things, especially the plan of redemption for mankind through Jesus Christ. The important truths of the faith are solid and plain to understand. However, not all things in life are cut and dry. Neither is everything in God's word. Even Paul said in 1 Corinthians 13:12, "Now I know only partially; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known."
        I believe that the Bible has possible answers for many events in life for which we wonder why they happen. Some things that are unclear for me are: why are there hurricanes; why do I bite the inside of my cheek when chewing food; and why do I sometimes stub my toe on a heavy object? There are obviously many other examples that could come to mind, including serious subjects like why otherwise-healthy children get cancer, and why people get struck by lightning. I believe the Bible gives possibilities for these, but those subjects are for another time.
        Psalm 91 gives me a clue to my own toe-stubbing. It paints an overall ambiguous picture of living inside God, with a more specific idea of constant acknowledgement of him. Psalm 34:1 also states "I will give praise to Yahweh at all times; his praise will always be on my lips." I know that my problem is that I don't give credit to God enough - out loud, in front of my friends and family, and so that the world can hear. God is worthy of my praise from the time of awakening to the time of drifting off to sleep. He is the one who ultimately sustains my life and health every second of the day, even though my own decisions also play a part in my vital consequences. Every time my teeth come into aggravating contact with my inner cheek, I think of this psalm, and cry out "God, help me!"
        I believe that if we take a closer look at our own lives and a deeper look into God's word, we may find some answers that would surprise us.

No comments:

Post a Comment